Tuesday, July 17, 2012

We Do Need Her


HAPPY BIRTHDAY
      I want to give a big shout out to my sister Betty for her __th birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIS!      When you were a baby, I used to try to sell you to the corner storekeeper for eighteen cents. I’m so glad I didn’t close the deal, because I love you and value you beyond price.     You’re the reason I started this blog in the first place. It was your idea to begin with, and if it hadn’t been for your gentle urging, prodding, support, and untiring assistance, this turkey never would have got cooked! I really do enjoy doing this, Sis. It gives me an outlet to express my interest in, and passion for good movies, classic or otherwise, and you allow me to unload my somewhat feverish ravings on you and often help me organize my chaotic mental meanderings. Thank you for your help and encouragement.     Here’s a "movie" story for you. When you were about six, you and I went to the movies at the old Santa Fe theater in our neighborhood. That day, they held a talent show during the intermission between features (they mostly had double-features at that theater). You got up and entered the talent show on the stage. When your turn came, you sang “Jingle Bells” and won the talent contest! The big prize was a shiny fifty-cent piece.        It so happened that I had had my eye on a pair of ice-skates in the window of a local second-hand store, and they were asking exactly fifty cents for them. So guess who talked that little girl into financing a pair of skates for her big brother? Bingo! The problem was that when I finally got a chance to use those skates, I could never master them. My ankles were too weak, and I couldn’t stay on my feet long enough to get anywhere. So you have the last laugh, Sis.     Anyway, I wish you and your beautiful family a wonderful day today, and  hope you make the most of it. Thanks again for your abiding love and generosity of spirit. I love you very much.

‘Bye!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Big Brother -- thank you so much for the birthday wishes! The minute I read the title on this blog entry, I knew what was coming. Your reluctance to welcome your baby sister into the family is the stuff of legends -- all my kids know the story. After all, you were the baby of the family for four and one-half years! I'm glad you didn't close the deal, as well. And I do remember going to the Santa Fe Theatre (and to the Comet and to the Westwood, the Gothic, and the Bluebird -- we had to ride the bus to get there), but what I DON'T remember is your cute little "movie story" -- thank you so much for sharing. I'm really glad you got your skates -- anything for my big brother. I'm proud to be your sister and cherish our shared memories. I love you and I am thrilled you are doing this blog. Keep up the good work! -- Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Roy, thank you so much for these wonderful stories of Mom. She loves collecting and telling everyone else's stories, but not her own. We're going to have to rely on you to give us more of her history it seems. I love your blog. I love the look of it and your content. I've always loved old movies, but your blog has made me interested in a different genre than I've usually watched. Please keep blogging! And thanks for not selling Mom. Who knows how she would have turned out without her big brothers "watching" over her. Love you. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetheart. I'll do my best. Love to all you guys

      Delete
  3. Nice birthday wishes Uncle Roy. Mom said you were blogging so I wanted to drop a note and check out your site. Looks great.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff, I hope you"ll enjoy it.Love to you all

      Delete
  4. Whenever I have an opportunity to include a family story or anecdotal fact, I will. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete